Skip to main content

Road to California Quilt show and one little Block of the Month

This past week I was able to attend the Road to California Quilt Show in Ontario, California with 2 dear friends and always meet up with other friends while there.  This year I took a class from Helen from Sew Kind of Wonderful - the Quick Curve Ruler people.

Here's what I accomplished in the class.
Pay close attention now.  Here is what my friend Debbie and Kathy finished in class.

You notice it?  Someone didn't pay attention to the placement of her blocks or even the name of the pattern/class - Metro Rings.  Easy fix though.  Just have to be more careful when I get around to finishing the quilt which won't be for a while.  I have some other items that need to get finished first.  More on that later.

While at this lovely quilt show I saw many a beautiful quilt for inspiration.  Did I take a picture of any of them?  Well no, I forgot my camera and I didn't want to use all my memory on my phone for the photos.  I hope someone took pictures and posted them on their blogs.  You can see them there.  I've already seen both of the big winners on Facebook.  My friend Debbie (the one with the pink block above) entered a quilt at Road and got an Honorable Mention.  Pretty impressive.

I also did some damage to my pocketbook while there.
Some tools and other stuff that I bought.  The red bag was this years Road To California giveaway if you signed up for classes.

Here are the fabrics I picked up.  And some threads.  
And in one of the towns we stopped at on the way down to the show had a great little kitchen shop so I picked up a new frying pan.  We really needed another one.  I'm calling this my anniversary gift to my husband.  
When trying to find a place to put all my fabrics last night I realized that I will need to find a new method of organization.  I've gotten lazy and I've gotten more fabrics from when I first started this crazy hobby.  So in a week or so I'm going to take a whole weekend to re-organize my stash.  Then I'm going to prioritize the quilts that I have started that need to get finished.  I will not start another quilt until this is done.  (Except for the quilt that I have to start because I signed up for a class at guild.)  This is the only time I have had so many quilts started and unfinished that it's kind of giving me anxiety.

My mother-in-law is still in rehab.  The therapist and doctors will be meeting with my hubby and his dad on Monday or Tuesday to figure out the next step.  Her dementia is getting worse and I'm afraid she won't be able to come home.  We shall see.  Visiting her is always interesting.  What comes out of her mouth is either confusing or funny.  (However don't laugh out loud in front of her - she does not like that.)  I brought her a coloring book and some coloring pencils to see if she'd like to do that since she was an artist.  I don't know if she did anything on it yet.  I also read on a blog this morning and I pinned it but they are fidgit quilts made especially for alzheimer or dementia patients.  It wouldn't hurt since she is always playing with the blankets or her shirt when you talk to her.

Well that's all for now.  I've pinned my Easter quilt.  Once I finish my consignment quilt I've got under the needle I'll start on it.  

Oops, almost forgot.  Before I left for the show, I finished the January Fat Quarter Shop Designer Mystery block.


Thanks for looking.

Comments

  1. I get the anxiety part! You are such an awesome quilter and person. Have fun with the reorganization. Sometimes it feels great to purge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't have to take apart what you did in class. Just build blocks around it and you will have the original design.
    If you are feeling anxious over your unfinished/in progress projects I'm in deep trouble. Maybe this needs to be a MG challenge?? Destash and donate.
    It's always good to get away and let design ideas flow around you. You never know where inspiration will find you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just looked at your photo again. Look at the block on the wall behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely understand the strain of too many UFOs. But sometimes starting something new is just the thing to kickstart the UFO train. Or the promise of starting something new. Here's to 2016 and pounding the UFO pile into submission. Here, here! You go, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. I love to get them.